...and spending everything i've saved for the last two and a half years on all seven continents!

28 January 2011

So That's Antarctica

Antarctica. Gosh. What can I say? How do I describe it? I feel like it's almost too soon to talk about it.. like I haven't fully digested the last 10 days. But this blog is meant to tell you that I'm alive... so yes! I've survived the freezing cold weather, the icebergs hitting our ship, and the penguin poop. :)

Anyone who talked to me before January 18th, knew that I wasn't planning to go to Antarctica. I scoffed at it even because it was so expensive... I had heard trips cost approximately $3000-$7000 and it wasn't worth the travel time I'd have to sacrifice. But then one of my hostel mates had just gotten back and his sheer enthusiasm over his Antarctic trip was pretty much enough to convince me.. I tend to get super excited about things and it's rare for me to find someone who gets as excited. So I had to do it. I made the decision and the credit card went through at 12:30pm. Ship was boarding that day at 4pm. (Incidentally, for anyone planning a trip to Antarctica, don't book it ahead of time unless you absolutely have to... you'll save about 2k if you book from Ushuaia.)

The MV Ushuaia sailed from Ushuaia through the Beagle Channel and then through the notoriously rough Drake Passage. That first day on the ship, most people were in bed, sick. If you had the good fortune to be looking at the right place at the right time, you'd see someone get sick as you ate your lunch. They even taped up barf bags in the common areas and throughout the hallways. Ha. Seasick medication didn't even cross my mind... I've never gotten seasick and remain convinced that if you start to feel funny, jumping up and down does the trick.
I met a lot of really cool people on the ship and a bunch of us are staying in Ushuaia now, heading to Puerto Natales in Chile tomorrow, and planning to do a ten day hike together in Torres del Paine. There were a lot of 'characters' on the ship too... an incredibly rich and garulous art collector, a smelly Russian, slutty crew members, and more. 21 nationalities in all. A typical ship day: buffet breakfast (8a-9a), attend a lecture or two (topics included "Whaling in Antarctica" and "Penguins"), 3-4 course lunch (1230pm-2pm), lecture, snack time (430pm), nap, 3-4 course dinner (730pm-9pm), drinking.

I think I've been stalling and not telling you about Antarctica...I just don't know what to say still. It's an amazing feeling to be on your way to Antarctica because you're on a ship full of people who are just as excited you are. It feels even better to step on land, to take in the beauty of the glaciers around you, and waddle around like a penguin because you're dressed in so many layers. Penguins are awesome, btw!! In the last two weeks, I've seen Magellanic penguins, Gentoos, Adelies, Macaronis, and Chinstraps.


Everything is better because you're on Antarctica too!... snowball fights are more fun, butt-sliding down a hill seems cooler etc. Cameras also go nonstop... I took approximately 2500 pictures. A typical landing day: buffet breakfast (730am-830am), dressing in many layers and rented clothing (jacket pants, gloves, hat, boots), morning landing, lunch, afternoon landing, dinner. I think the only negative is that you're walking around in snow for a couple hours so your toes are numb and take forever to un-numb themselves. Oh, it was also a little bit scary to come back from a landing and see that a giant iceberg had hit our ship. Later that day, another iceberg hit the ship denting the rail. It kept happening... but the sound of the ship hitting icebergs throughout the voyage isn't something I'll ever get used to...

Our first few landings were on the Antarctic Peninsula so we were all very excited to get on the actual continent at Neko Harbour. We got to experience an avalanche. Very cool. The best day, though, was when the sun finally came out. Glaciers and icebergs are beautiful, but when the sun shines on them, they are breathtaking. My photos, of course, dont do it justice but I think thats the best way to describe it to you. (They aren't up yet, coming soon though!) We sailed through a narrow strait - the Lamaire Channel with snowy glaciers and mountains around us. Later that day, we took a zodiac cruise around the icebergs. So. Incredibly. Amazing. The landing that day at Charcot was probably the most beautiful place I've ever been. Well done, Antarctica.




So am I glad I did it? Yes! Will I go back? Definitely!!


Next stop: Torres del Paine National Park!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Kim, looks amazing! The idea to travel to Antarctica has never even entered my mind, but you make a great case. :) - Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! I've look at this picture for about 10 min.... its amazing! At a quick glance it looks like you're standing next to a frozen lake with a toy boat behind you. You almost look like you can take three steps back and dip your boot in the icy water. But knowing where you took this picture... wow! I'm very happy and excited for you. Everyone here at SRI FCU is rooting for you! Please let us know if you need any help with your card ok...
    -Paco

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie! Miss you!

    And thanks Paco! more pictures are coming soon I promise... Internet/Flickr have been failing me at the moment but all things SRIFCU on my end are awesome! Hope everything is great for you back home :)

    ReplyDelete