...and spending everything i've saved for the last two and a half years on all seven continents!

18 January 2011

Mar del Plata

I had less than 24 hours in Mar del Plata, but they were great!

One of my roommates, Eyal, was just waking up (around 10pm) when I arrived. He was super nice: He shared his pasta dinner with me, gave me a peach, and then we watched the Oregon game while drinking Quilmes (Argentine beer). I stayed up all night with Eyal and other hostel mates - from what I remember there were Brazilians, Argentines, Americans, and a guy from Colombia. I think I'm going to like this hosteling thing. :)

Sunrise was set for 5:40am and I was determined to see it - well, I was awake anyway. Because I'm on the Atlantic coast, the sun rises over the ocean... very strange since I've been on the west coast my whole life where the sun sets on the beach instead of rises! It was quite beautiful.. though I admit I missed a little bit of it waiting in line for McDonald's.

Hostels del Mar was the most expensive place I stayed so far and the bed I spent the least amount of time in: 3.5 hours. After that nap, I went to the last stop Bus 211 would take me. The bus (2 pesos) drives up the coast and because this is a major holiday season for Argentines, rich and poor alike, the bus was jam-packed until people were able to get off at different beaches.  I was on the bus for about an hour until La Serena, the last stop. I picked up fruit (super cheap!) and then just walked for hours on the beach. It was too hot to lay on the sand and I didn't have a towel, but walking was great.! This was the first time I could just walk and walk and not worry about getting back to my car or have to worry about time. At one point, an older lady stopped me and (i think) said I looked just like her daughter or her daughter's friend or something. We walked together on the beach just talking for awhile. It felt really good and I even enjoyed the kisses on the cheek this time. It was such a nice way to spend a Tuesday afternoon... how's work everyone? :)

After walking a few miles, I caught the bus to the Puerto and had lunch: paella and calamari.  was expensive ($78 pesos) and not so good. I've been finding lately that I can't eat much of Argentinean food...  I just feel unhungry after a few bites. It's very strange, but I'm sure I'll adjust. Before catching the bus to Puerto Madryn I stopped to get aloe.... apparenty the sun is stronger here so my sunblock wasn't enough. Sunburn on my shoulders (when I have my 25lb backpack to carry) and the backs of my knees (when I have a 17 hour bus ride ahead of me). Not fun. But all in all, Mar del Plata was a good way to start my trip. I can't explain why Argentinians flock here for vacation, and I probably wont be back here, but I had fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment