...and spending everything i've saved for the last two and a half years on all seven continents!

17 July 2012

Blasé about Brussels


I hate to not be super upbeat in one of my last blog posts, but I wasn’t the biggest fan of Belgium. It’s fine…. I have no serious complaints, but I think all things “Belgian” from a food standpoint are a bit overrated: The waffles are nothing special, they export all the “must-try” beers, the fries are grease central, and the chocolate is unbelievably overpriced! 9.5 Euros for 80 grams of chocolate at Pierre Marcolini! Outrageous! The moules (mussels) I had at a touristy restaurant on Rue des Bouchers-Beenhouwerstraat were fairly tasty and though probably the best meal I had in Belgium, nothing you couldn’t get in the US.

 

 

I was staying at the only reasonably priced hostel in Brussels that was so far away from the city center it was off the map I was given! I was lost on my way to the center (an hour walk) and when I’d stop to ask people for directions, they’d think I was nuts for knowing it was an hour walk and still refusing public transport. I made it okay (eventually). Without feeling any major obligation to see the sights, I actually had a lot of leisure time in Brussels; it was nice to have lukewarm feelings about a city with no pressure to see and do everything and feel free to wander around instead.


Atomium

I checked out the most famous places, of course, like the Grote Markt, the Atomium, and (the outside of) European Union buildings. The Grote Markt is probably one of the nicest squares I’ve visited on my trip and the Atomium, though weird, is quite striking. I also ended up at two museums – the Magritte Museum and the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History. I got to the first one and as I was wandering around, I got really confused about why I was there. Basically, I had no idea who this Magritte character was and I didn’t care much for his art or life history. I realized later that he’s the artist responsible for “The Son of Man,” the painting with a man in a suit and a green apple covering his face. (If I’m being honest, I still don’t really care for a museum dedicated to the guy and “The Son of Man” is in someone’s private collection!) 


The military museum was actually very interesting, providing the Belgian perspective on the great wars and a cool collection of war planes. You can also access a view over Brussels from the top of the Arc de Triomphe-Triomfboog from the museum:


I liked a lot of the architecture I saw though I can’t even pretend to classify it:

 

 

I can, however, classify the plethora of peeing statues all around the city: In a word, they were odd. The most famous one is Manneken Pis, a naked boy who urinates into a fountain. He is often dressed in different outfits and is said to “own” hundreds of them. I sought out the famous peeing statues in the city center but that’s only because I didn't have anything better to do at the time.


 

Mannekin Pis: Top Right

It was a really short couple of days in Belgium’s capital and I feel like I spent them wandering, chasing the must-try foods, and avoiding the rain wherever possible. It could have been better, it could have been worse. On the whole, I guess I’m just feeling pretty indifferent towards Brussels and Belgium and I I’m not really feeling inspired to go back. The Netherlands on the other hand (Up next!), is a place I hope to get back to time and time again :) 

Random Belgian graffiti art:

2 comments:

  1. The Atomium looks nearly as interesting as the peeing statues look strange. Hopefully next time, we can see to it that you are less blasé about Brussels. PS - it may be time to update the trip stats (only 160 beers? doubtful!) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. you didn't go to the right places for waffles and fries! i assure you - i have not found better in the US!

    ReplyDelete