...and spending everything i've saved for the last two and a half years on all seven continents!

30 August 2011

Egypt Part IV (Cairo)


Cairo is huge! I think it’s the biggest city in Africa with approximately 20 million people. It’s also a city I am so grateful to not have had to drive around in. When we arrived in the city, we met a local to direct us to the truck’s workshop because apparently, not only is the city enormous, but continuous construction creates all kinds of road closures such that our driver has never been able to take the same route twice to the workshop.

On the way, we encountered a burning vehicle in the middle of the highway; it was on its side with no other “injured” vehicles around it – perhaps the fuel tank exploded? So in the US, people would (presumably) wait for authorities to clear the carnage... But in Cairo, several cars started reversing, and driving against traffic. Crazy! As we passed, we saw some locals throwing buckets of water(?) on the well-charred car and out of nowhere, this burst of fire shot out. The locals ran away and we all felt lucky because had it happened a good 10 seconds earlier, we would have all been singed. Welcome to Cairo!

I honestly didn’t see much of the city outside of Giza (Pyramids & Sphinx) and the National Antiquities Museum. I was busy getting Chinese takeout and KFC delivered to my hotel room :)

As for the Pyramids, they weren’t as sandy as I stupidly thought they’d be – more like hard, extremely heavy stone piled high.



You used to be able to climb to the top, but I think too many people got injured. I liked the sphinx (protector of the pyramids) a lot, but as some have said, it does kind of look like a big mushroom from the back. (Good thing I like mushrooms...) :)


In terms of the museum, I'm not biggest fan of, well, old stuff, but it was awesome to finally see Tut’s mask and some of the treasures from his tomb. I thought the exhibit was way too expensive when it traveled to San Francisco and I’m glad my fears that the exhibit would be traveling when I was actually in Cairo were for naught. No pictures allowed inside unfortunately, but apart from the Pyramids/Sphinx, it’s probably close to the quintessential picture from Egypt that you have probably all seen.

Goodbyes: Cairo marks the end of my 120 days traveling on a big, yellow overland truck. We dropped the truck off at the workshop and now it’s probably heading through Syria en route back to London. I didn’t get to say all my goodbyes because people left on different days and at odd hours, but I’m excited to visit truck mates as I continue my journey around the world! (I should be able to visit just about everyone I want to see after I travel to Australia, New Zealand, and England.) :) Of course tears were shed, but really only when Theo left and again during the goodbyes that happened immediately after I put him in a taxi to the airport. Though I’m basically alone again, I actually feel really good about it. I've got Dahab and the Middle East ahead of me and am feeling super excited to get to see and do what I want, when I want. Yay for independent travel :)

Up Next: Adventures in Dahab

No comments:

Post a Comment